Thursday, March 23, 2006

Utility


When I was first living with my family in Falevao back in October I noticed something that seemed strange to me at the time. My family would present me with an ie (pronounced ee-ay, also called lavalava, the fabric worn by both men and women around their lower halves of their bodies) that my grandmother had sewn up for me and I’d put it on and walk around to find that my new clothing matched curtains in one house, a tablecloth in another, pillowcases on pillows strewn about… pretty much anything that could be made from fabric. It’s not so common to walk around in the states in clothing that happens to match household items so I let it amuse me and chalked it up to cross-cultural experiences that I didn’t fully understand. Since becoming a volunteer I have been spending a good deal of time sewing because a) it’s the easiest way to get most things like pillowcases and clothing (since most families sew their own fabric items there are limited quantities for sale) and b) because it keeps me busy and gives me projects, which are always important things to have. I decided that the cushion covers on my chairs desperately needed replacement so I went into town and bought a bright green jungly fabric that entertained me and took it home and made 8 covers out of it. Upon outfitting my living room in its new décor I realized I still had a significant portion of fabric left. So I asked Andrew how he’d feel about a nice new green shirt. Upon my completion of the shirt I had about a yard and a half of fabric left so I cut it in half and made a couple of pillowcases (multiple sets are imperative as washing is done by hand and laundry left to hang dry, so one can never guarantee the return of pillowcase to pillow before bedtime). I was so proud of myself- I had managed to be resourceful and not waste any of the fabric I purchased, turning it into all kinds of useful items! Then it dawned on me that in fact it wasn’t strange at all what I had experienced in the village- my family just understood the value of utility in the way I have now come to. Laura Ashley has cornered the market on the infamous “mommy and me” outfits, but I think I might just have to write them and ask if they’ve ever considered “mommy and window dressing” combos :)