Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Vacation



Since my mom was visiting and she isn’t paid in Samoan tala, we decided to take a vacation for the weekend while she was here and go stay at a posh resort on the south side of the island called Coconuts. It was absolutely beautiful and so much fun. We stayed in a cute little fale right on the beach with the most amazing shower I have ever seen in my entire life- it was all lava rocks and the water came spurting out of them like a fountain. It felt like you were standing under your own mini waterfall. There was also an adorable swimming pool shaped like a pili (gecko) overlooking the ocean. We could walk into the water from our house and go snorkeling and play with the starfish. We were also right near a mangrove that we rented kayaks and paddled around in. It was wonderful. We ate huge quantities of delicious food and hung out and played scrabble and relaxed a whole lot. It was quite fun seeing Samoa from the tourist/traveler perspective since it’s totally different from the experiences one has living here from day to day. It was also of course wonderful to have my mom here for a visit. It was much too short and makes me quite conscious of how far away I am from everyone. I love it here but I definitely miss everyone back home very much.