Monday, December 19, 2005

Home Sweet Home


I am finally officially living in one location! I moved into my house on Thursday morning and have been spending the past few days getting settled in and cleaning up and trying to make it feel like home. It's such a great feeling to have a place of my own after living out of my bags for the past two months! My family in Falevao and the Peace Corps made the experience as pleasant and comfortable as possible, but it's still really nice to have my own home and get started on the settling-in process and really developing a more permanent feel to where I am. I am living on the compound of the school where I will be working. The school consists of a one-story building with two classrooms and a two story building with a classroom on the ground floor and my house on the second (see the picture above). I actually enter my house through the classroom below (there's a back entrance as well but the stairs are relatively precarious and I don't want to test them too much by making it my regular route). The place itself is really cute- it has two separate bedrooms, a bathroom, and a general living area with a kitchen space and a hang-out space, but even though it's split up it kinda has the feel of all being one room because the walls don't go all the way to the ceiling. It's got a lot of charm and I totally dig it- it feels like I'm living in a treehouse :)