Monday, January 16, 2006

Mold

Let me start out by saying that I love my house. I really do. It's really cute and perfect for me and I couldn't be happier. Unfortunately for my personal belongings, however, mold loves my house as much as I do. It seems to be the perfect breeding ground and happy home for all sorts of little fuzzies of various colors that enjoy making their meals off of my unsuspecting imported items. My computer is officially dead, in case anyone was waiting with baited breath on that front. As is my ipod most likely. Silly me bringing electronic items to a tropical country. I expected they might not last the whole two years but I was hoping for a bit more than three months. Sigh... At any rate I found out yesterday that the fact that my closets are actually not inside my house at all but more these boxes that stick out randomly from the walls outside of the building proper means that they are extremely susceptible to rain leakage, say, in tropical cyclone-type weather. Probably just in regular old tropical weather as well. Result: all of my skirts and dresses and shoes have become covered in... mold. La la la. So yeah I spent a good few hours bleaching the clothes I thought might be salvageable yesterday. It looks like I will probably manage to save some stuff as long as I don't mind the little black spots, but it means I probably can't store anything in the only storage space my apartment contains which poses a bit of a conundrum. Perhaps I should just pile everything up in the living room in the middle of the floor as far away from all windows and leaky walls as possible? Oh well. I didn't come here to be materialistic, right? Perhaps this was some greater way of my being told to let go a bit more. I'm working on it... :)