Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Reflection

We had a new group of future volunteers join us in country early wednesday morning- Peace Corps Samoa Group 76. We were called "trainees" during our first few months in country but it has been decided that this terminology has a childish connotation to it so their official label is "development professionals in training." Shockingly, however, they still seem to get referred to as... "trainees." I guess old habits die hard. It's been really interesting because this is the first new group to join us in country and go through what we went through upon our initial arrival. I've found that it's brought back a lot of reflection on what that time was like for me and how far I've come since then, and how much the experiences that I've been living have changed me. I came to Samoa in October- I've been here for over 8 months and feel it narrowing in on a year as time seems to roll by. The thing that I wanted most out of joining the Peace Corps was to have it lead me towards some sort of direction or larger plan for my life, something I didn't really have prior to this endeavor. Somewhat surprisingly to me becoming a volunteer led me to Andrew and in that sense the most concrete direction I could possibly find for my life. I think it's pretty impressive that one of my main desires for my service was filled so swiftly and totally. Regarding other aspects of my service I, like many volunteers, have had fluctuating experiences ranging from amazingly positive to frustrating and disappointing. I think that this is imperative as a component of the journey through one's time as a volunteer and is a huge part of what makes a volunteer grow so much during the tenure of their service. At this point, deep enough in my service to have a real idea of what is happening and what works (and doesn't work) for me yet with enough time left for substantial growth, I am focusing my energy on trying to restructure myself and my role here so that I feel that I am giving the most of myself and receiving the most personally for my efforts. Reflecting on where I came from and where I've been, I'm looking forward towards the rest of my service through very different lenses and am excited and curious to see how it all unfolds before me.